RNA as a Drug Target.
Associate Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Co-Director, UCSD Center for Drug Discovery Innovation
Office: Pacific Hall 5222A
Group: View group members
Max-Planck-Institute for Biochemistry and Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich, Germany
University of Ulm, Germany
2014 - current
UCSD Center for Drug Discovery Innovation
Structural Chemistry Group, Anadys Pharmaceuticals, San Diego
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York
Institut de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, CNRS, Strasbourg, France
Awards and Academic Honors
Vice Chair, Gordon Research Conference on RNA Nanotechnology
EMBO Long-Term Fellow
Otto-Hahn Medal of the Max-Planck Society, Germany
We are exploring the structure, function and molecular recognition of ribonucleic acid (RNA). RNA molecules participate as key players in many biological processes and adopt complex architectures that are required for function. The development of ligands that bind specifically to RNA targets opens exciting new ways to expand the existing repertoire of protein-directed therapeutics. Our research employs diverse techniques, including molecular biology, biochemistry, X-ray crystallography as well as synthetic organic chemistry.
Primary Research Area
Mentor and provide information on undergraduate research opportunities for underrepresented minorities in my laboratory.
Prepared the Diversity Plan “Contributions to Diversity” for the establishment of a cross-campus ORU, the Center for Drug Discovery Innovation (cDDI) at UC San Diego, which was approved in December 2013.
Member of the Executive Committee of the US Department of Education Graduate Assistance in Areas of National Need (GAANN) Fellowship Program at UC San Diego
Mentor in the UC LEADS program (Leadership Excellence through Advanced DegreeS), which prepares promising students for advanced education in the STEM fields and primarily supports undergraduate students who have experienced situations or conditions that have adversely impacted their advancement in their field of study.
- Boerneke MA,Dibrov SM,Hermann T "Crystal-Structure-Guided Design of Self-Assembling RNA Nanotriangles.", Angew Chem Int Ed Engl, 2016, Vol. 55, Issue 12, 4097-100
- Charrette BP,Boerneke MA,Hermann T "Ligand Optimization by Improving Shape Complementarity at a Hepatitis C Virus RNA Target.", ACS Chem Biol, 2016,
- Dibrov SM,Hermann T "Structure of the HCV Internal Ribosome Entry Site Subdomain IIa RNA in Complex with a Viral Translation Inhibitor.", Methods Mol Biol, 2016, Vol. 1320, 329-35
- Boerneke MA,Hermann T "Conformational flexibility of viral RNA switches studied by FRET.", Methods, 2015, Vol. 91, 35-9
- Boerneke MA,Hermann T "Ligand-responsive RNA mechanical switches.", RNA Biol, 2015, Vol. 12, Issue 8, 780-6
- Hermann T "Non-coding RNA: Antibiotic tricks a switch.", Nature, 2015, Vol. 526, Issue 7575, 650-1
- Boerneke MA, Dibrov SM, Gu J, Wyles DL, Hermann T, "Functional conservation despite structural divergence in ligand-responsive RNA switches.", Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 2014, Vol. 111, Issue 45, 15952-7
- Brunn ND,Dibrov SM,Kao MB,Ghassemian M,Hermann T "Analysis of mRNA recognition by human thymidylate synthase.", Biosci Rep, 2014, Vol. 34, Issue 6, e00168
- Dibrov SM, Parsons J, Carnevali M, Zhou S, Rynearson KD, Ding K, Garcia Sega E, Brunn ND, Boerneke MA, Castaldi MP, Hermann T, "Hepatitis C virus translation inhibitors targeting the internal ribosomal entry site.", J Med Chem, 2014, Vol. 57, Issue 5, 1694-707
- Ding K,Wang A,Boerneke MA,Dibrov SM,Hermann T "Aryl-substituted aminobenzimidazoles targeting the hepatitis C virus internal ribosome entry site.", Bioorg Med Chem Lett, 2014, Vol. 24, Issue 14, 3113-7
- Rynearson KD,Charrette B,Gabriel C,Moreno J,Boerneke MA,Dibrov SM,Hermann T "2-Aminobenzoxazole ligands of the hepatitis C virus internal ribosome entry site.", Bioorg Med Chem Lett, 2014, Vol. 24, Issue 15, 3521-5
- Shasha C, Henley RY, Stoloff DH, Rynearson KD, Hermann T, Wanunu M, "Nanopore-based conformational analysis of a viral RNA drug target.", ACS Nano, 2014, Vol. 8, Issue 6, 6425-30
- Chou FC, Sripakdeevong P, Dibrov SM, Hermann T, Das R, "Correcting pervasive errors in RNA crystallography through enumerative structure prediction.", Nat Methods, 2013, Vol. 10, Issue 1, 74-6
- Zhou S,Rynearson KD,Ding K,Brunn ND,Hermann T "Screening for inhibitors of the hepatitis C virus internal ribosome entry site RNA.", Bioorg Med Chem, 2013, Vol. 21, Issue 20, 6139-44
- Brunn ND,Garcia Sega E,Kao MB,Hermann T "Targeting a regulatory element in human thymidylate synthase mRNA.", Chembiochem, 2012, Vol. 13, Issue 18, 2738-44
- Dibrov SM, Ding K, Brunn ND, Parker MA, Bergdahl BM, Wyles DL, Hermann T, "Structure of a hepatitis C virus RNA domain in complex with a translation inhibitor reveals a binding mode reminiscent of riboswitches.", Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 2012, Vol. 109, Issue 14, 5223-8
- Dibrov S,McLean J,Hermann T "Structure of an RNA dimer of a regulatory element from human thymidylate synthase mRNA.", Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr, 2011, Vol. 67, Issue Pt 2, 97-104
- Dibrov SM, McLean J, Parsons J, Hermann T, "Self-assembling RNA square.", Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 2011, Vol. 108, Issue 16, 6405-8