- A grade of A- or higher in the same or equivalent course/course sequence of the Tutor/Reader assignment. If the course was taken at an institution other than UCSD, upload the transcript(s) showing the relevant chemistry courses completed via the online TA Application.
- A 3.0 overall GPA at UCSD, not counting transfer work. Campus policy is very strict that only students with a minimum GPA of 3.0 are allowed to teach.
- A minimum of 90 units completed or transferred into UCSD.
First time Tutors are considered Undergraduate Instructional Apprentices (UGIAs). UGIAs must enroll in Chemistry 195, a weekly Teaching Apprentice Training Seminar (see Schedule of Classes). At the seminar, they will receive a Teaching Apprentice Handbook. Readers are not required to enroll in CHEM 195.
Tutors/UGIAs: At the first instructor-Tutor meeting for the course (attendance mandatory), instructors will outline the actual Tutor duties for their course. More information about responsibilities are covered in CHEM 195. However, the duties typically required of all Tutors/UGIAs are:
- Attend all instructor-Tutor meetings.
- Attend all lectures of the course for which they are Tutoring.
- Lead one discussion section.
- Assist with grading and proctoring.
- Hold office hours or cover Help Room (Chem 6ABC).
- Other duties as needed for a particular course, such as quizzes, preparation for sections, and lab demonstrations.
Reader: A Reader assists a course instructor by proctoring exams and by grading homework, papers, or exams.
Performance Evaluations and Standards. Tutors/UGIAs are evaluated by the instructor of the course and by the students they teach. Tutors/UGIAs can access their evaluations at http://academicaffairs.ucsd.edu/Modules/Evals. More information on performance standards is provided at the Teaching Apprentice Training Seminar affiliated with Chemistry 195.
A typical Tutor/UGIA assignment is a 25% appointment, or a total workload of 110 hours over 12 weeks. Most of these hours are accrued in the 10-week quarter and finals week (see Schedule of Classes ). Depending on the needs of a specific course, instructors will inform Tutors/UGIAs of the need to work hours in the pre-quarter week.
- Undergraduate Tutors are usually assigned to General Chemistry lecture courses (Chem 6A-B-C, Chem 11-12-13) or to Organic Chemistry lecture courses (Chemistry 140A-B-C). They are not assigned to lab courses.
- Undergraduates tutor for credit (Chemistry 195) their first quarter and are paid thereafter.
Reader assignments vary, but the maximum assignment is a 25% appoinment.
- The Chem/Biochem Student Affairs Office will contact you by email if you must complete employment paperwork.
- Undergraduate students appointed on Tutor title code 2860 and Reader title code 2850 are covered by a collective bargaining agreement between UCSD and the ASE/UAW.
- The pay rate for Tutors is $15.36/hour, and pay rate for the Readers is $12.82/hour.
- Tutors and Readers are paid bi-weekly for the number of hours submitted via timesheet each pay period.
- Names and addresses of all ASEs are released to the UAW each quarter.
- ASE/UAW membership dues or the agency fee (for those who choose not to become ASE/UAW members) will be deducted from each paycheck. The amount of dues is 1.15% of gross earnings, and the agency fee is 0.92%.